June 1st and Vay Kay

Me and mine had planned our vacation during a small window of time I had from work, so we decided it was time the kids go to Disneyland.  Our son is a fan of the Mickey Mouse club, and our daughter of the princesses. So we went online trying to find the cheapest way to do the hotel and basic “griswolding” the drive from Lawrence, Kansas to Anaheim, California.

We realized that if we drove and hit all the families in New Mexico and Arizona, our hotel stays would be minimal and so we had booked our rooms in March to commit ourselves.  As the time came closer to the 21st of May, we realized one thing, our son was done with school our daughter had 2 more days…ARRGGGHH. And to make it crazier, she also fell and broke her wrist the week before we were going to leave! So, no problem, we take her out of school early, get her cast done, and we be alright.  Things did work out, and we were off Friday May 21st and headed to Liberal, Kansas. We stayed the night which was quite strangely very cool weather.  As we left the next day, again, cool weather as we headed to NM and the wind was horrible.  I think that made our drive longer but we made it to my uncles on the Acoma reservation.  The best part of staying there is the trains that go by every hour, my son loves them.  We headed out the next morning, and made our way to Phoenix, AZ.  Again, a very cool morning, and the wind was horrendous.  The dust being kicked up was high, and as we got to Winslow, AZ, nothing but big red dust clouds and a detour off the interstate as they shut down the road due to the dust storm.  No problem, we go through the mountains and forests, a little bit longer, but we made it to Phoenix, and I heard the radio say 78 degrees?? I was in Phoenix right, I was thinking, yeah, strange, but it was very cool again.  We made it to my sister’s apartment, and she made a great meal. The best part of staying with family is the home cooked meals, totally awesome!  My sister was supposed to go with us, but she couldn’t, so again, we headed out early in the morning to go to our final destination.  This day wasn’t too bad, not too windy, and the roads were ours.  We made it into Anaheim and our hotel by 5pm and took the kids to Huntington Beach.  My son’s first time to see the ocean, and they both loved it.  The only bad thing…lol…the weather! It was so windy and cold, but we put our feet in, stayed for about 15 minutes and headed back to eat dinner and get a good rest in preparation for Disney, which the kids still didn’t know about.

Finally, Tuesday morning, and it was a great day, no clouds, and we headed to Disneyland, tickets in hand, trying to figure out where do we park.  LOL, when we found the $14 parking lot and shuttle, we made it to our destination.  My kids were excited and ready to see everything.  We managed to get on a lot of rides within 20-25 minutes. The only long ride wait was for the submarine ride, but it was about 6pm, when that was going on, maybe that had to do with it.  We decided early that we would try to do as much as we could the whole day because we simply could not afford another day at the park.  But, as crazy as it is, our kids wanted to leave to go back to the beach! Our day was winding down, as the sun was starting to set, and I was thinking we still hadn’t seen Mickey! We can’t go to Disneyland and not see Mickey! We went to the last area of the park “Toon Town”  and there was Mickey and Minnie’s house.  A sign said to go the barn and you can meet Mickey, it was almost 8:30pm, so we went in, and sure enough, he was there, and just about to leave.  Finally both kids met him, got a picture, and we accomplished our goal.  It was dark, and one last ride we went on, then we headed back to the front entrance.  I couldn’t believe we spent almost 12 hours at Disneyland and the kids were still going.  I think we walked over 3 miles, but it was fun, and I know an experience our kids won’t forget. The only disappointment was when we went to the Pirates of the Caribbean ride, I didn’t see Captain Jack!!! I remember this article I had read about how the males who play Captain Jack say they get hit on all the time, and I just wanted to see what the hub bub was all about!

The next day, we went back to Huntington Beach where we saw dolphins in the water and the weather was much better.  Unfortunately, we didn’t put on sunblock and all received sunburns!  Yeah we all were red! When we back to the hotel, I was thinking, now we have to head back tomorrow.  But it has been fun!

We headed back Thursday, and made it Phoenix, where we spent three days with family and friends.  My kids spent time with grandmas, grandpas, aunts, uncles, and cousins.  We enjoyed southwestern cuisine and got our fill of  In and Out burger.  When we left for NM, we made sure we got our red and green chili, and my acoma tamales! I spent time with my uncle, my famous grandma Rachel, my aunts and cousins that time would allow, as we had to get back to Lawrence.

Our little road trip managed to see a few flare ups between me and my hubby, but nothing we couldn’t get over in a couple of hours of driving…LOL. We went through hours of listening to George Strait’s album collection, NPR, and tons of magazines we picked up along the way.  I always think if you can get through a road trip with the ones you love in close confinement for 7-10 hours at a time, then you can make it through anything.  I know our kids enjoyed it, but at this time, they are in the own little world in their own rooms, while me and husband, well we are sitting in the front room, together typing on our laptops. Have a great week!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: